December 27th, 2013 – January 02nd 2014
Smile! You are in paradise! Reads a sign prominently displayed at Sangster International Airport as you exit the airport into Montego Bay. Aggressive cab drivers and local vendors tried to distract me but no, I had to let it sink in. I am in Jamaica!!! Finally! My feet had touched the ground on a dream destination! It was time to start making my own memories!
This trip came at a great time! Some of the best friends anyone could ask for suggested a getaway to escape the winter blues. There was no hesitation on my part.
With my friends in tow, we took a two hour shuttle ride from the airport to our all-inclusive resort in Ocho Rios. The shuttle was filled with many tourists. Most of them first timers at this part of the world! You could feel the excitement! The resort was amazing!!
Here are the highlights of my trip:
– Incredible tropical weather. After leaving behind cold Atlanta the warm weather was welcome.
– The food!!! You haven’t had an authentic mouthwatering beef patty until you’ve had it in Jamaica! The street side jerk chicken is finger licking good! I also got to try the jerk pork for the first time! The. Best. Ever. It changed my view on pork.
– Open air night clubs! Dancing under the stars to some great tunes was a great experience. We did witness illegal business being carried on right under our noses but turned a blind eye to it.
– Took a huge risk by hopping on a rickety boat with some strangers, local fishermen – father/son duo, against my friends wishes. The fishermen couldn’t have been nicer! Amazing guides they turned out to be. They took us places most tourists would be too afraid to venture into. I saw a part of Jamaica you never see in guide books! Quite refreshing.
– Took the most incredible sky lift ride at Mystic Mountain. On your way to the top you will believe there really is a God!!
– Stunning fireworks at the beach on New Year’s eve at Doctors Cave Beach in Montego Bay.
Soon I shall return to this land of great food, beautiful beaches, warm people and great weather!